**Chindex owns United Family Hospitals, which runs Beijing United hospital. I once wrote a profile of CEO Roberta Lipson.**
Third Quarter 2013 Financial Highlights
- Revenue from healthcare services increased 16% to $43.1 million from $37.3 million in the prior year period.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $5.0 million, compared to $6.0 million in the prior year period.
- Development, pre-opening and start-up expense was $4.9 million, compared to $2.7 million in the prior year period.
- Loss from operations was $2.8 million, compared to income from operations of $1.5 million in the prior year period.
- Net loss was $3.8 million, or $(0.23) per diluted share, compared to net loss of $664,000, or $(0.04) per diluted share, in the prior year period.
- Full year guidance adjustment primarily due to government regulatory delays.
Financial Highlights for the Third Quarter of 2013
- Net revenue increased 21.6% to RMB 3.7 billion (US$ 608.7 million) compared with RMB 3.1 billion in the third quarter of 2012;
- Gross profit rose 25.7% to RMB 781.5 million (US$ 127.1 million), with a gross margin of 20.9% compared with RMB 621.5 million and a gross margin of 20.2% in the third quarter of 2012;
- Operating profit increased 17.4% to RMB 252.8 million (US$ 41.1 million) compared with RMB 215.2 million in the same quarter a year ago;
- Earnings per share were RMB 2.86 (US$ 0.46) compared with RMB 2.98 in the third quarter of 2012;
- Total number of diesel engines sold rose 21.5% to 118,282 units compared with 97,328 units in the third quarter of 2012.